Monday, February 18, 2013

Letter From Petersburg, March 4, 1865

I'm writing, my dear Mother, upon hearing reports from early today
Tell of Lincoln's inauguration; Perhaps this will seal victory's sway.

Late riders came bearing noble words, "With malice toward none;
charity for all, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, as one

to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and a lasting peace
among ourselves, and with all nations." May warring finally cease!

Mother, most of these good men here are still much older than I;
Though each and every day more join in, while many others die.

I love you and thank you for kind words in fine letters I received
God willing I do not intend to give you a reason to be bereaved.

You know I turned twenty-two on January fourteen this very year,
I surely pray and feel that the end of this wretched conflict is near.

Four months removed, I'm still lifted by Mr. Lincoln's words and win
With what we are doing and what's at stake, I am grateful he's still in.

"I earnestly believe that the consequences of this day's work," said he
"will be to the lasting advantage, if not the very salvation, of the country,"

We blues are surrounding them greys with the brave Grant as our head,
Since I started at troubled Spotsylvania last May, following where he led.

I recall great Richmond, and our first throw against Petersburg this pest,
I try to forget many men I loved and lost at Cold Harbor, that crucible test.

News says Johnston's almost down, and out here we face the mighty Lee
Here in the South, Petersburg may be the final bloody battle that we will see.

My hope remains as I rest in the cleft of my Rock, in the Refuge for my soul,
Returning to you and father in a single piece, a country of peace, is my goal.

At the end of today, as I rest among the men, leaning against this oak tree,
I've rehersed my letter with a grasshopper that knows nothing of the scene.

I tend carefully to a little wound received in this day's battle on my thumb,
To both of you with perseverance, fondness, with love from your only son.

No comments:

Post a Comment