Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Who It Is That Can Amend A Choice Made?

Who it is that can amend a choice made?
That can draw back water bursting the damn?


I was lured and enticed by my own desire.
I am madder about it than I was before
All the choices I pursued; I call this 'too late'.

Need reduction of this poison in my soul
That digs and twirls within my orbit
Consuming the fiber of who I am
Uniting self destruction with living.
The desire conceived gives birth
Producing death deep in my soul.

This is my dilemma: I waged war
in my mind to consider slight an indiscretion
To allow my guard to be lowered at battle;
Creating a growing, spreading iridescent stain
like blood and soil and water, arriving
To allow the crease, then the crack,
the choice to sin that threatens my life.


Who it is that can amend a choice made?
Only He who commands souls and tempests be still!


___________________

This piece was written for a contest at allpoetry.com. 

The following word list was given as a prompt:  iridescent, crease, slight, arrive, unite, madder, fiber, reduction, dilemma, poison, twirl, orbit

With the word list, I began to think about James 1 and Romans 7.

Romans 7:21-25
21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

James 1:13-18
13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.[d] 18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment