Sunday, January 20, 2013

Locked!


Locked!


April 6, 2007


The room is square and the bars are straight;
The bed is hard, and the hour is late.
I can get up when I like, but the gate won't move,
I can walk where I like, only here in this room.
I'm hemmed in where freedom cannot go.
A place and a feeling I don't usually know.
 
Locked.
 
The last time I saw the clock it was three,
But the sun doesn't shine where I can see,
And the clock is on the wall in another room.
And the hours move on in a timeless gloom.
I'd like to run in a field and yell out loud,
But I can't see a field, the sun or a cloud.
 
Locked.
 
I gave up my watch, my ring and my keys,
They took my shoes, my wallet and my ID's.
I rolled my fingers on the paper with black ink,
They photographed my face, and my right side I think.
I want to call and to talk with a friend,
The freedom to do this has come to an end.
 
Locked.

Not since I was a child did I have so little say,
Over whether I could go over there or that way.
When its time to move somewhere they call me near,
Though my schedule and calendar have no purpose here.
Will I again feel what its like to fly with the feather,
And to freely soar under the sunshine and weather?
 
Locked.

I'm moved to a place with my hands tightly bound,
I can hardly make a comment, nor even hear a sound.
The scenes never change, and the light stays the same,
I can barely remember the first moment that I came.
Can I take a step in the grass? or breathe in the air?
Can I sit all my day near the river without care?
 
Locked.

No newspaper to read, no books to enjoy,
Silence steals my attention, quiets my soul
Father, I thank You for being here with me,
At this moment when hope is hard to see;
I thank You for Your love which knows no bound,
Past every guard, bar and keyed lock its found.
 
Freed!

No comments:

Post a Comment