Monday, January 21, 2013

Without Reservation

Without Reservation
January 13, 2013
 
Son, yesterday you deeply wounded me,
Its critical that you clearly see;
I release you; I set you free.
I choose to remember no more
And accept you without reservation. 
 
 
__________


I wrote this poem as an entry on a contest at Allpoetry.com.  The subject was forgiveness, and emphasis was made on the brevity of the piece.  The poem was limited to 31 words.  I structured the poem lines by syllables for balance and flow.  (10-8-8-8-10)  Unlike my poem, "Released!" which explores repentance and forgiveness along more than 30 long, thoughtful lines, with this poem, I seek to distill the idea of forgiveness to a few definitive terms:  "deeply wounded", "critical", "I release you", I choose to remember no more", "I accept you".  Addressing my "son" here is meant to see that the idea of forgiveness is not general, but very personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment