Sunday, January 20, 2013

Poetry Lost


Poetry Lost

 November 27, 2006

 
I picked up a poem from the floor the other day,
Its words and rhymes were scattered all around,
Did this letter belong to that word?  Who could say?
A literary tragedy--honest it was this way when found. 
 
Who will show me as I try to put together its flow?
If I put this word next to that one, does it belong?
If I think that one line follows another, do I know?
Perhaps this was a ballad, maybe a haiku, or a song.
 
How will I feel pain that pierces the writer's soul?
When will I understand words that express their joy?
Will their heart ever be seen, their story ever told?
Can I know this writer at all?  Is it a girl or a boy?
 
What has happened here, that poetry would shatter so?
Was it carelessness, clumsily carried too fast?
Or another's words that blast the poem from their hold?
Did the author break these, angry at present and past?
 
Unknown is the history that led the poem to this time,
Unknown is the expression its stanzas tries to spread,
I do know when I picked up the pieces I could find,
And laid them one to the other, this is what it said.

No comments:

Post a Comment