Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Dead Man's Poem



The Dead Man's Poem


Word of God speaks:  Come forth!
How do my dead ears hear?
How can my dead eyes see?
What? These limbs three days in the grave
Have strength to stand? To walk?
How am I able to unfurl the wrappings of the dead
That encircle my body?
Oh! The stench of my rotting flesh overpowers
Even the burial spices.
How can this dead nose sense these fragrances?
I was dead.
God has given me life!

Word of God speaks: Believe!
Pierce with Sword of  Spirit in my dead ears;
Strip the scales of blindness from my eyes!
God, raise me to walk in newness of life,
Grant me strength in You to stand;
Spirit of Christ quicken life in my soul
No boast, no work can I do, just receive!
No righteousness of my own, His given to me!
No place in  heaven can I earn, trust Him!
How can I, so wretched and full of sin,
Be cleansed by Your shed blood
You have given me eternal life!

1 comment: