Sunday, January 20, 2013

Paying Respect


Paying Respect

April 25, 2007


 

After work I went to a funeral today,
The sun was bright as I went my way.
So much had transpired this week,
It’s been a relief to get this peace I seek.
Though I thought I might get a ride here.

 While resting, I thought of things I must do
I saw family and friends had come too.
A funeral changes ones schedule and time,
From the important and demanding kind
To this significant reflection on life.

 I came here filled with emotion and pain
And now feelings of concern are giving way,
I see myself a little removed with people all around,
There this awkward, distant feeling I’ve found
Here with family and friends, I’m still alone.

 In some ways, coming and mourning here,
Is more fitting than a wild and joyful cheer.
Here one thinks about life’s eternal value
And what, after death, may happen to you.
Giving us the chance to be ready.

 The part that took me just a little by surprise,
Was that in the casket I looked into my own eyes.
I am here paying respect to the life I live
Providing some reflection of what I give.
Here at my own funeral.
 
 
__________
 
 
It is better to go to the house of mourning than to go to the house of feasting for this is the end of all mankind, and the living will lay it to heart.  Ecclesiastes 7:2

No comments:

Post a Comment