Sunday, January 20, 2013

My Sister, My Friend, My Sister


My Sister, My Friend, My Sister

November 17, 2012


Distance in a relationship is a choice to consider.
While I live far away in view of lands, roads and hills
I choose to draw close to my sister, my friend, my sister
And how we grow together is based less on space than wills.

I would have chosen Kim to be my sister if I could,
As time and history decide that parents and God make this call,
She would be established with breath and body before I would.
Many of the days would pass before I would see this treasure at all.

Today, marks the day you were born in this world; November seventeen.
I will not be able to hike the Loop with you this brisk day as I’d like to
Nor go to the sun on that Glacier Park road, and share the lovely scene.
So I offer to my sister by birth this expression of my love toward you.

Distance in a relationship is a choice we have often considered.
While you among the stunning Rockies, and I among the Great Plains
We have chosen to draw very close my sister, my friend, my sister
And how we have grown together through many joys and pains.

Writing, calling, visiting, emailing, now even video conferencing on Facetime,
Can you imagine what form of pursuing friendship will be ours tomorrow?
Let’s make the choice to find every way to pour in this friendship in our time.
For the memories, for companionship, for treasured deposits into our trove.

Laughing, crying, praying, talking, walking, wondering at what life sent,
We have never known what each new season of time for us has held,
Like the great joy to share in your wedding to your love, your husband Kent,
And to watch your Josiah come into the home you have made in Kalispell.

Distance in a spiritual relationship is a choice made in Christ.
What can separate us now? Even heaven and hell cannot separate us in Him.
I choose to draw close to you my sister, my friend, my sister
May God’s Word, and Spirit and Church and Purpose draw us closer Kim.

Can you believe that Damascus Road intersected in our family, in our lives?
That we may have Life because God so loved us that He gave to us His Son,
Believing and trusting--in and beyond the earthly we know and under which we strive--
In Him, you and I will not perish but have eternal life, now, forever, together, one?

Talking together is one level of joy; praying together is another still
Sharing the company of each other is one, fellowship goes deeper more
Experiencing a path is one, to common purpose and worship raises us till
We spend thousands of years together as joint heirs in Jesus our Lord!

My sister by blood
My friend by choice
My sister by Christ.

I love you Kim, enjoy your days!
 
 
__________
 
 
I wrote this poem on my sister's 46th birthday.  Her name is Kimberly Ann Nelson, and she and her husband Kent and son Josiah live in Kalispell, Montana.

1 comment:

  1. I am particularly fond of this one...kidding aside, thank you for your kind words, very sweet! Made me cry when I read it for the first time...

    ReplyDelete