Sunday, January 20, 2013

My Favorite Arches


My Favorite Arches

November 15, 2006

 

I've seen the arch in St. Louis,
In the park with sparkling sun,
shimmering off its metallic surface,
Surrounded by the great maples and oaks
Carefully placed to accent this design of men
And the serene setting place.

I've seen a colorful rainbow arch at Niagara Falls,
Stretching from one side of the rainy sky,
From Canada to our home country,
Blue, red, green, yellow dipping deep.
Into the misty canyon carved by rushing waters
A calming reminder of sovereign promise.

I've stood under the botanical arches,
On the northern lakefront of Chicago,
Arches or bending trees with budding flowers,
Wild, growing vines with bulging grapes
Forming the pathway into a hidden jungle,
In the paradise display of beauty.

I've seen and enjoyed these arches most of all,
Upside down, found upon the human face,
Surrounded by facial landscapes all unique,
Twinkling eyes with assorted noses,
Sometimes with hair, sometimes with lipstick,
And the bookends we call ears.

Up close I've seen the grandest of inverted arches,
When I lay upon the floor strewn with toys,
Laying these red blocks upon those yellow,
I feast with joy for hours the most beautiful of all
I'm thankful for the smile of my playing son,

My favorite of all arches.
 
 
__________
 
 
Dedicated to my four sons:  Gordon, Ben, Tim & Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment